The Calhoun-Gordon County Library is centrally located in downtown Calhoun, just minutes from the business district and within just a few miles of Interstate 75.
100 N. Park Avenue
Calhoun, GA 30701
To provide quality, responsive and innovative information services which foster the individual pursuit of knowledge and enhance the cultural, economic and intellectual vitality of the community.
- To find information about getting a library card, check out the PINES Library Cards page.
Please check our calendar of events for holiday closings.
Calhoun-Gordon County Library provides valuable assets to the community. We have an extensive genealogy collection and research area with a wide variety of reference materials available as needed. There are special programs for all ages including appearances of guest authors and illustrators. Recognizing the importance of children reading year-round, we offer a summer reading program.
The Library building is owned by the City, and its operations are funded cooperatively. County allotments cover 65% of the annual operating expenses, and County resident cardholders are in about the same proportion. Since 1957 Calhoun-Gordon County Library has been a branch of the Northwest Georgia Regional Library System, receiving technical and cataloging support, staff training, state funds for materials, eligibility for state construction funds for public libraries, and access to the statewide PINES inter-library circulation system.
The library contains a large collection of books, audio books, and videos for preschool, youth, teens, and adults. Our meeting room is equipped with a state-of-the art data projector, DVD/VHS player, and electronic projection screen. We subscribe to various newspapers, magazines, and periodicals for patron use. Computers and wireless internet access are also available, with usage that exceeds all other libraries in the Northwest Regional Library system.
Our community also uses its Library heavily for meetings, summer reading programs, home- and after-school study activities, workforce development assistance, and a variety of services from non-profit organizations. Last year over 200,000 visits were logged, overloading the facility and its resources.
The Calhoun Woman’s Club established our library in a log cabin on its present site in 1911. Today’s Park Avenue building was constructed in the 1960’s and expanded in the 1980’s to its present size. Since then the library’s collection has grown to almost 90,000 cataloged items; circulation last year exceeded 100,000 items; 30 computers and wireless internet access, not available in the 1980’s.
Calhoun-Gordon County Library Chronology
- 1911 – Calhoun-Gordon County Library Established at Current Site by Calhoun Woman’s Club
- 1924 – The library book count reached 969
- 1957 – – Library becomes branch of Northwest Regional Library System headquartered in Dalton
- 1967 – Construction of new building began; the working library moved to a section of the Calhoun First National Bank at the corner of Court St., and North Wall St.
- 1968 – The new library, with 20,000 volumes, opened, Jan. 19
- 1988 – Ground-breaking ceremonies were held in February to begin construction of additional space to include a meeting room and children’s wing; working library was moved to Stephens High School while construction was underway; other books boxed and stored
- 1989 – Estimated volumes reached 40,000; library staff increased
- 2010 – A total of more than 90,000 volumes are housed
- 2011 – Library joins PINES.
VAC 2017 Christmas Program
Register to Vote
Did you know you can now register to vote online? Click the link below to register to vote.
Georgians can now register to vote online!