PINES Library Access for Youth
The PINES Library Card Access for Youth (PLAY) card gives students free access to public library materials and online resources to help them succeed in school. Northwest Georgia Regional Library System (NGRL) partners with local schools in Gordon, Murray, and Whitfield counties to provide the PLAY card. Currently, the program is available in Dalton Public Schools. If you are an employee of a school system in Gordon, Murray, or Whitfield county and would like to implement the program in your school, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The public library provides free access to books and online resources to help your child succeed in school, as well as fun resources that help develop a lifelong love of reading. Your public library is available all year long, including during the summer months.
Online at ngrl.org:
- Search the PINES (Public Information Network for Electronic Services) library catalog for millions of books from over 300 libraries across Georgia in addition to books, movies, audiobooks, video games, and other materials at NGRL branches
- Place items on hold for free delivery to your local library
- Check out free downloadable eBooks, eAudiobooks, and magazines for all ages
- Access GALILEO (Georgia’s virtual library) databases for research and nonfiction eBooks from home
- Practice language skills through Mango Languages
- Practice for SAT, PSAT, ACT, through LearningExpress Library
- Enjoy virtual programs through the library’s social media platforms
In-person at the library:
Note: Pandemic safety rules apply, please contact the library for further information.
- Work with library staff to find a new favorite book
- Pick up materials that you’ve requested from PINES libraries
- Check out up to five items (books, movies, audiobooks, music, video games, etc.)
- Check out family passes for free or discounted access to the Atlanta Zoo, Georgia State Parks & Historic Sites, and more
- Pay no late fines! (fees apply only for lost or damaged items)
- Access computers and free wireless internet
- Print and make photocopies
What is PINES?
Georgia’s PINES network connects 300 library branches and affiliated service outlets together, allowing card holders free access to print materials from anywhere in the state. It is available to anyone who lives, works, or goes to school in Georgia.
How do I get started using the Library?
- Visit ngrl.org for our calendar of events and for links to GALILEO, eBooks, and more.
- Login at gapines.org to check your account, look for books, and place holds.
- When asked for your library card number, type your 3-letter school prefix followed by your school ID number. Example: You’re a student in Dalton Public Schools and your student ID number is 12345. Enter DPS12345 as your library card number.
- When asked for your password or PIN, type your 2-digit birth month and 4-digit birth year with no spaces. Example: Your birthday is April 2006. Enter 042006 as your password/PIN.
How much does the PLAY card cost?
Both the PLAY card and library resources are free.
What about overdue fines and fees?
There are no overdue fines for items returned late, but students are responsible for fees on lost or damaged items.
What if the student already has a PINES card?
Students can have both a traditional PINES card and a PLAY card. The cards are kept separate; if a student is opted-out of the PLAY card program, their PINES card will remain. PINES cards will accrue normal fines and fees.
Which schools are included?
At this time, NGRL partners with Dalton Public Schools. Other school systems in Gordon, Murray, and Whitfield counties may be added in the future.
Libraries are required by Georgia law to keep circulation and similar records which identify the user of library materials confidential. Exceptions allowed under O.C.G.A. § 24-12-30 are limited to:
- members of the library staff for library business
- written consent of the user or the parents/guardians of a minor library user
- court order or subpoena
Student information entered into the PINES system will fall under our confidentiality rules.
The PLAY card is an opt-out benefit. Your child’s Student ID number will act as a library card number unless you choose to opt-out of the program. To opt-out, please contact the school.
Note: GALILEO databases require a special password. Please call or visit the library to get the password. You can access GALILEO remotely through gapines.org by logging in with your card number and PLAY password, then clicking on the GALILEO link at the top.