Dalton-Whitfield Library will be closed Saturday, November 9th – Monday, November 11th in honor of Veteran’s Day. The library will resume normal hours on Tuesday, November 12th.
Dalton-Whitfield Library will be hosting movie showings at the library! These movies are free to watch and concessions will be available. Come take part in one of our showtimes or in several.
Family Movie Day
Family Movie Day will be hosting movies on the 3rd and 4th Saturdays of the month. The movies will begin at 11:30 a.m. Additional showings may be offered on different days and at different hours. All ages are welcome to participate. Movies will be between G and PG.
For family movie information, please contact 706-876-1390.
Teen Movie Night
Teen Movie Night will be hosting movies once or twice a month on a Friday evening. The movies will begin at 3:00 p.m. 6th grade and up are welcome. Movies will be between G and PG-13. For parents with concerns on ratings, feel free to view the movie with your child!
For teen movie information, please contact 706-876-1390.
Come and enjoy our movie showings and bring your friends!
For more information, including the title of the movie showing, please contact the library at 706-876-1390. Keep checking an eye on the calendar for showtimes or pick up a calendar at the library.
This week is Teen Read Week. This week is devoted to encouraging teens to read and gain literacy skills. To help draw teens into the library, we have a few events going on and all teens between 6th and 12th grade are invited! There is no specific time for these events. Just drop by the library and speak to Betsy to find out more information.
- Scavenger Hunt: Search for some cards related to the clues given and for each one you find, receive one entry in a raffle for the book the hunt is based on. All cards must be found between October 15th and 19th.
Hoax Image/Photo: Using a photo the library provides, use a photo editor to make something cool/scary/funny/etc. appear in it. Participating earns you an entry into a raffle for a gift card for a small amount. This can be done at home if you have a program for it and there’s a program that Betsy can show you installed here. You do have to drop by to get the rules though. Entries will be posted on the teen blog.
- Blind Book Drawing: Choose a book title from a box of titles, read the book and do a brief review to earn an entry into the raffle for the gift card (same as the hoax image). The more books you read/review, the more entries you can get. Reviews may be posted on the teen blog and on boards at the library.
Note: Titles must be selected between October 15th and 19th. Reviews must be turned in by October 31st. Drawing will be held after that date.
Get the full rules for each event at the library!
Teen Read Week 2013 Flyer
Blind Book Drawing Flyer
Scavenger Hunt Flyer
Hoax Image Flyer
Friends of the Library Book Sale: 1st Saturday of the Month, 10am – 1pm
Each month, Dalton-Whitfield Library’s Friends of the Library hosts a book sale. Used books are sold for great prices and the proceeds help the library. Come join the friends and get some books!
Readers to Leaders wants to get books into more hands in the community. Drop off gently used books in the Children’s Department of the Dalton-Whitfield Library. This benefits the Reach Out and Read and Parents as Teachers programs. For more information, check out the following flyer.
Fall Into Books Book Drive
Dalton-Whitfield Library, September 27th: 12pm
Join the Living Wall artists as they discuss the art of making a mural. Bring your own lunch if you’re hungry and the library will provide drinks. This is free and open to the public.
Dalton-Whitfield Library, 6:00pm – 7:00pm
Come join us for the Rauschenberg Lecture, the first event of the gloATL and Living Walls “The Traveling Show.” There will be an Open House before as an opportunity to meet the artists involved with “The Traveling Show.”
Open House: Sept. 25th, 5:00pm – 6:00pm.
Dalton-Whitfield library is hosting an open house to introduce the gloATL and Living Walls performers, to show off the new Teen Room, and the relocated computer lab. Food will be provided by the Dalton Friends of the Library.
- Adults are invited to drop by the adult area during the open house and enter a raffle to win a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 7-inch tablet.
- Teens between 6th and 12th grade are invited to drop by the teen room during the open house and enter a raffle to win a free Kindle.
- Kids through 5th grade are invited to drop by the children’s area during the open house and enter a raffle to win a Leapfrog LeapPad 2 Power Learning Tablet!
Everyone is encouraged to stick around for the opening event for the gloATL and Living Walls visit, the Rauschenberg Lecture. Don’t forget to check our calendar for a list of events going on during the gloATL and Living Walls, “The Traveling Show“, visit.
UPDATE: The Traveling Show has come and gone. Thank you to everyone who came! Don’t forget to check out the new mural on the corner of King and Hamilton street.
The Traveling Show – September 25-28
Dalton-Whitfield Library is proud to host gloATL and Living Walls as they begin a journey through Georgia, sharing art, community, and discussion. We are partnering with the Creative Arts Guild, Downtown Dalton Development Authority, City of Dalton, Dalton State College, and Kellie Smith Design Studio. Visit The Traveling Show Facebook Page to get more information about the tour as a whole.
All events will be free and open to the public. Exception: Schools may have a policy about visitors on the school grounds, so check with the schools if you are interested in those performances.
There will be several community events here in Dalton between September 25th and September 28th.
Wednesday, Sept. 25th:
- 5:00pm – Dalton-Whitfield Library Open House & Artist Reception
- 6:00pm – Rauschenberg lecture
Thursday, Sept. 26th:
- 8:30am – Eastside Elementary School Float: An Urban Fantasy performance by gloATL
- 11:30am – Dalton State College Installation on the student green
- 1:00pm – Artists Lecture: “Collaboration as Salvation” by gloATL and Living Walls
- 4:00pm – Site Lecture: Tactical Urbanism on the corner of King and Hamilton with tents and chairs available from Downtown Development
- 4:30pm – Public Intervention: Dalton Green at the Courthouse by gloATL
- 7:00pm – Creative Arts Guild Installation in the Sculpture Garden
- 7:45pm – Art as Citizen Lecture at the Creative Arts Guild
Friday, Sept. 27th:
- 8:30am – Blueridge Elementary Float: An Urban Fantasy performance by gloATL
- 12:00pm – Dalton-Whitfield Library Lunch & Learn Brown Bag Lecture: “Mural Art Making” by Living Walls
- 4:00pm – Creative Arts Guild Master Dance Class by Sean Johnson
- 6:30pm – Public Shop: Mall Installation by gloATL
Saturday, Sept. 28th:
- 3:00pm – Installation gloATL tech/dress
- 6:00pm – Mural Reveal & Physical Installation at the corner of King and Hamilton by gloATL and Living Walls
Download your own copy of “The Traveling Show” schedule.
Dalton-Whitfield Teen Advisory Group Meeting: Sept. 19th, 5:30pm – 6:30 pm
Dalton-Whitfield Library’s first Teen Advisory Group meeting will be on Thursday Sept. 19th from 5:30pm – 6:30 pm. We’ll be meeting in the Teen Room for pizza, games, and planning.